Wednesday 11 April 2012

The virtues of Faatimah the daughter of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)

I hear that Fatima (ra) and Ali (ra) had a daughter in addition to Hassan (ra) and Hussein (ra), but I know nothing else about her. Could you tell us something about her please, like how her life was, and whether she had any role in Islamic history, etc.

Praise be to Allaah.
Faatimah, the daughter of the leader of mankind, Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), al-Qurashiyyah al-Haashimiyyah, Umm al-Hasanayn [the mother of al-Hasan and al-Husayn]. She was born shortly before the beginning of the Mission of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and she married ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with him) after the battle of Badr.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) loved her and honoured her. She was patient, devoted to Islam, generous, chaste, devout and thankful to Allaah.

When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) died, she grieved and wept for him, and said, “O my father, to Jibreel we tell the news of his death, O my father, he answered the call of his Lord, O my father, in Paradise is his eternal abode.”

Faatimah’s speech most closely resembled that of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “I never saw anyone whose speech more closely resembled that of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) than Faatimah. When she entered upon him, he would stand up to greet her, kiss her and welcome her, and she would do the same for him.”

Faatimah lived for six months after the death of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). She was buried at night. Al-Waaqidi said: this is the most correct view. He said, al-‘Abbaas prayed (the funeral prayer) for her, and he, ‘Ali and al-Fadl lowered her into her grave. Her sons were al-Hasan and al-Husayn (may Allaah be pleased with them) and her daughters were Umm Kulthoom, who was wed by ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with him), and Zaynab who was wed by ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ja’far ibn Abi Taalib.

It was narrated from Masrooq that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “Faatimah came walking in the manner of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘Welcome, O my daughter.’ Then he seated her to his right or to his left, then he said something privately to her and she wept. I said to her, ‘Why are you weeping?’ Then he said something privately to her and she smiled. I said, ‘I have never seen anything like that which I have seen today, of joy so close to grief.’ I asked her what he had said, and she said, ‘I would not disclose the secret of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).’ When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) passed away, I asked her and she said, ‘He told me, “Jibreel used to review the Qur’aan with me once every year, but this year he has reviewed it with me twice, so I know that my appointed time (of death) is approaching. And you will be the first of my family to join me.” So I wept. Then he said, “Would it not please you to be the leader of the women of Paradise or the women of the believers?” So I smiled.’”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-Manaaqib, 3353)

Among the things that prove her virtue is that which was reported in al-Saheehayn from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to pray at the Ka’bah, and Abu Jahl and his companions were sitting there. They said to one another, ‘Who will bring the intestines of the camel of So and so and put it on Muhammad’s back when he prostrates?’ So the most wretched of people went and brought it and waited until the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prostrated, then he put it on his back, between his shoulders. I was watching but I could not help him because I did not have any power. They started laughing and leaning against one another (because of their laughter), and the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was prostrating and did not raise his head until Faatimah came and removed it from his back. Then the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) raised his head, and said, ‘O Allaah, deal with Quraysh,’ three times. They became worried when he prayed against them, because they used to believe that du’aa’s made in that land would be answered…”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 233; Muslim, 3349)

Among her virtues was also that which was narrated in al-Saheehayn, that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Faatimah is a part of me, and whoever angers her, angers me.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3437; Muslim, 4483)

And Allaah knows best.

See Nuzhat al-Fudalaa’ Tahdheeb Siyar A’laam al-Nubalaa’, 1/116.

No comments:

Post a Comment